KAUST Sensor Initiative
KAUST Sensor initiative has been running since 2015 and is a unique
opportunity that came directly from the office of the Senior Vice
President for Research, Prof Jean Frechét. It involves multiple KAUST investigators
and 13 international experts working on 5 different projects over the
areas of atmosphere, subsurface, marine, chemistry, and health. The
interdisciplinary meetings which take place annually aim to transform
sensor technologies and explore novel applications, create a global
group of sensor pioneers and mentor a new generation of sensor experts in the kingdom and the world.
Sensor Meeting 2019:
The next Sensor Initiative Meeting will take place in KAUST April 28-30, 2019. If you have any questions please contact Naadiya Carrim (email@example.com).
- To learn more about the origins of the Sensor Initiative click here
- Read about our Sensor Workshop from May 2017 here
- Read about our Sensor Workshop from May 2018 here
- Visit KAUST's Sensors Lab under Prof Khaled Salama here
Sensor Projects funded under the Sensor Initiative:
- Coupled Animal and Artificial Sensing for Sustainable Ecosystems (Leads: Prof Carlos Duarte and Prof Burton Jones)
- Self-Powered Platforms for Personalized Health Monitoring (Lead: Prof Hussam Alshareef)
- Perpetual Wireless Sensor Networks for Large Scale Wide Area Monitoring (Lead: Prof Mohamed Slim Alouini)
- High Performance Magnetic Sensors and Sensing Tools for Subsurface Energy Applications (Lead: Prof Xixiang Zhang)
- Development of FET-Based CNT Chemical Sensors (Lead: Prof Xixiang Zhang)
Sensor Project External Partners:
- Mark Meekan (AIMS)
- Mani Srivastava (UCLA)
- Victor Eguiluz (IFSIC)
- Michael Strano (MIT)
- Rory Wilson (Swansea University)
- Otto Wolfbeis (Uni of Regensburg)
- Antje Baeumner (Uni of Regensburg)
- Zhong Lin Wang (Georgia Tech)
- Moe Win (MIT)
- Geert Leus (TU Delft)
- Gang Xiao (Brown University)
- Tim Swagger (MIT)
2018 KAUST Sensor Initiative Meeting:
Delegates from the 2018 Sensor Initiative Meeting, KAUST.
Senior Vice-President for Research, Innovation and Economic Development, Professor Jean Frechet opened the 4th Annual Sensor Initiative with one clear agenda "Our goal is success".
Students and Postdocs interact at the Live Hands on Demo Session.
Students discuss the recent discoveries in Sensor Science at the interactive poster session.
Sensor Student Day Q&A Career Panel Session L-R: Prof Antje Baeumner, University of Regensburg, Prof Tad Patzek, ANPERC (KAUST), Prof Sahika Inal, KSC (KAUST), and Prof Khaled Salama, AMPMC (KAUST).
2017 KAUST Sensor Initiative Meeting:
Delegates from the 2017 Sensor Initiative Meeting, KAUST.
Researchers from KAUST and international universities take part in the poster session.
Prof Gang Xiao, Brown University, presents to the crowd during the second day of proceedings.
2016 KAUST Sensor Initaitive Meeting:
Prof Jean Frechét, Senior Vice-President for Research, speaking with delegates at the 2016 Sensor Initiative, KAUST.
Prof Husam Alshareef (KAUST) speaking to the Sensor Initiative delegates.
2015 KAUST Sensor Initiative Meeting:
Delegates from the inaugural Sensor Initiative, KAUST, 2015.